Dec 7, 2009

Tina Turner rocking Daimoku

 In Tina Turner's autobiography, I, Tina (basis of the film What's Love got to do with it?), she describes  her inability to summon the inner strength to escape the long-term abuse and brutality of her husband.  This is a well known story and analogous to situations in our own lives in which we feel totally trapped. Nothing seems to work; there is no apparent way out of the suffering and circumstances. But after an acquaintance teaches Tina to chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, she immediately begins to battle back. Conquering her own timidity, Tina strike out to gain her freedom. Eventually, of course, she launches a fabulously successful independent career. In this instance, chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo galvanized her into action, giving her the impetus to change her destiny for the better. Her overriding need was not for inner peace  but for outward determination.

Source: the Buddha in your Mirror.pg 42

Disclaimer: I have recently come across members who are against me posting this video here and over at sgibuddhism.org- I just want to make sure that everyone knows that we do not chant in front of statues. I believe we can own statues or own anything we like. Its all about the power you give to them. If your chanting is sincere and your determination strong, then all is well. But I do not slander those who own statues. Its judgmental to do so and to believe that they are not practicing correctly because they have one is wrong.  I personally own statues but I don' t chant to them.  But just because there is one in my room does not mean I haven't received benefits and actual proof. Because I have. I will defend Tina and won't stand for slander or assumptions. She has been a huge force in our practice and we do not know the circumstances surrounding the production of this video. I really believe we have the responsibility to set the record straight on this but not to do it in a way that's going to alienate new members and slander existing ones. Give the people more credit than that. Thank you and Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

 Tina chants Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and parts of the Lotus Sutra (Gongyo)




1 comment:

Seleus said...

Disclaimer: We do not chant in front of any statues just to clear that up for new members or non-members. I posted the video not to incite anger in those who think its wrong but to open the door to dialogue.